Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hits and Misses

Our ability to act upon an opportunity (or an advice) is directly related to our awareness about the facts surrounding it. For example, I feel my neighbourhood shops can significantly improve their business if they did as simple a thing as to create a page over a social network and invite folks, who patronize the shop, to it. Think of it, if they can get testimonials regarding their businesses, wouldnt more people be drawn to these shops, particularly in areas such as my neighbourhood, where almost everyone has a social network account and an email id. I made this suggestion to the owner of the Gym I work out at, genuinely concerned as I was for his business, given that there have been occasions when I have been the lone soul working out. He has a decent Gym, in fact, he has  better facilities as compared to some of the other more expensive places I have worked out at. I think his apprehension arises because 1. his awareness regarding the power of the internet is low, 2. he does not trust me enough (I dont trust my real estate agent) and 3. he hesitates in selling.

To generalize, I think for successful interventions either in the business or in the social development domain, it is important to address the three issues I have mentioned above - provide full information (and ensure that it is internalized), build credibility and help people overcome their potential-limiting inhibitions.